Lechon with Calamansi Vinaigrette
We've put a RightRice twist on the traditional Filipino pork dish, Lechon. Brown Butter Sage RightRice adds even more protein and fiber to this delicious dish. Pair it with your favorite sides like green beans, squash, and kale for a festive holiday meal.
1 package Brown Butter Sage RightRice
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 lb squash, sliced
- 2 c. baby kale
- 3 lb pork belly with skin
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- 1 small shallot, fine diced
- 1/4 c. coconut vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. calamansi juice
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt and pepper
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
For the Sides
For the Lechon
For the Calamansi Vinaigrette
- Place the pork belly in a large stock pot and fill with water making sure the pork is covered. Add in 1 tablespoon of salt, bring up to a boil, and leave to cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, take the pork out of the pot (you can reserve the water for stock) and dry it on paper towels. Leave to rest at room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, place in the fridge over night covered with paper towels. This helps dry out the skin to make it nice and crisp when we finish cooking it.
- The next day take out the pork from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Pre-heat the oven to 450.
- Place the pork on a foil-lined baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Then, liberally spread the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper all over making sure it’s nice and coated.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check at 45 minutes to see if the skin is crispy. If it’s not, cover lightly with foil and continue to cook for the full hour.Take out of the oven and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- While the Lechon is cooking, prepare the Brown Butter Sage RightRice according to package directions.
- Steam the green beans for 3 minutes. Once done, put them in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes. Take out of the ice water and drizzle of olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Steam the sliced squash for 10 minutes or until tender. Take them out of steamer and add a drizzle of olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a large pan on medium heat, cook the spinach with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir for about 3 minutes until all the leaves are wilted. Take out of the pan and drain. Season the spinach with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To make the the Calamansi Vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and season more if needed.
- Once the Lechon has rested cut in to 1 inch squares. Serve with the RightRice and veggies.