Rustic Italian Wedding Soup
When we say rustic, we mean it! No special knife skills needed for this recipe; all the veggies are roughly chopped and we used Italian sausage to make the meatballs. Swapping in RightRice for pasta makes it nutritious yet still hearty and delicious. You’ll be sure to make Nonna proud!
1 package Garlic Herb RightRice
- 1 ⅓ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 white onion, peeled and rough chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 4 stalks of celery, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb. of carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch disks
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups of chicken bone broth
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the Garlic Herb RightRice according to package directions, replacing the water with chicken stock.
- Start by making the sausage meatballs, about ½ inch in diameter. Use a teaspoon or medium ice cream scoop to measure out the balls, and place them on a plate.
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add in the meatballs a few at a time to brown, cook for about 5 minutes each. Place the cooked meatballs on a separate clean plate.
- After all the meatballs have been browned and removed, into the pot add the onion, celery, and carrots, scraping up any brown bits from the pot for extra flavor. Cook on medium heat for 7 minutes, until vegetables just start to soften. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute to release the flavor. Pour in the bone broth.
- Bring the broth to a simmer, about 5 minutes, and then add the cooked meatballs. Simmer again for 5 minutes, and then add the spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the rice into 4 bowls, and ladle the soup over the rice. Garnish with shaved Parmesan.
RightRice®Lemon Pepper 7oz
RightRice®Basil Pesto Risotto 6oz