Black Beans & Rice with Roasted Red Peppers
A perfect Meatless Meal on its own or a delicious side to grilled steak or chicken, this recipe is a simple way to bring out the best in the Spanish RightRice. It would also be delicious served with guacamole or sprinkled with cotija cheese. For the meat-lovers in the house, saute one pound of ground beef along with the onions before adding the rice.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- Kosher salt
1 package Spanish RightRice
- 1 ⅓ cups vegetable stock or water
- 6 sweet mini peppers, sliced into rings
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- In a medium fry pan, heat one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the RightRice to coat the grains with the oil. Add the stock or the water, bring to a quick simmer, and immediately turn off the heat. Cover and allow to sit for 12 minutes.
- While the rice sits, heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the mini peppers and another pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes until the peppers are barely soft. Remove.
- Using the same pan, gently warm the black beans over low heat with a tablespoon of water. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- After 12 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ of a lime over the rice, then stir in another teaspoon of olive oil if desired.
- Divide the rice evenly between four bowls. Place a generous spoonful of beans on top of each, then garnish with the mini peppers and cilantro. Serve with a lime wedge.