Cajun recipes are packed with flavor and pair perfectly with our Original RightRice, which soaks up all those delicious seasonings and savory broth. This version of jambalaya replaces the sausage with kidney beans for added protein and nutritious veggies like butternut squash (but feel free to use whatever is in season). Topping it off with some avocado also brings freshness to this decadent dish.
1 package Original RightRice
- 1 Tbsp. butter or oil
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 heaping cups butternut squash
- 1 heaping cup carrots
- 1 glove of garlic
- ½ tsp. salt & pepper
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. cajun seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 - 15 oz. cans kidney beans
- Prepare the RightRice according to the package directions and set aside.
- In a large pot melt the butter or oil over medium heat. Add in the flour and stir, cooking over heat until a browned roux forms. Add in the onions, squash, carrots, peas and garlic and stir to combine. Cover and cook about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened.
- Pour in the seasonings, vegetable broth and kidney beans, and cook over a low to medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the combined mixture is bubbling and hot.
- Remove from heat and serve over RightRice with avocado on the side! Leftover last in the fridge up to a week.
Planting Hope BrandsPlanting Hope Party Pack
RightRiceBrown Butter Sage 7oz
RightRiceCreamy Cracked Pepper Risotto 6oz